clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Southampton 2 - Crystal Palace 3: Match Report

It's an early exit for The Saints as they fell to Crystal Palace.

Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

Southampton may be riding high in the league, as they sit third with more than half of the season in the rearview mirror, but they will most likely end the season without a silverware.

The Saints lost to Crystal Palace 2-3 at The St. Mary's as they were knocked out in the fourth-round of the cup, thus ending their chance to add a silverware to their cupboard.

Ronald Koeman named a strong starting XI, an indication that the Dutchman is taking this cup competition seriously and it shows as Southampton started brightly.

It took Southampton less than 10 minutes to open the scoring, nine minutes to be exact as Graziano Pellè scored his first goal in over a month. James Ward-Prowse corner was stabbed home from close range by the Italian international.

But Saints' led was shot-lived as Marouane Chamakh equalized just two minutes later. The Moroccan pounced on Yaya Sanogo's shot which was spilled by Fraser Forster to level the score.

Southampton though, did not have to wait too long to get themselves back in front. Six minutes later, it was 2-1 to The Saints following Scott Dann's own goal. Prowsey was key once again, as he feeds Ryan Bertrand, whose cross was inadvertently turned into his own net by Dann.

Palace though, did not rolled over and instead manage to equalize through Sanogo. The Frenchman, on loan from Arsenal, converts from inside the penalty box and it's game on once again.

Ward-Prowse then had a shot flashed wide of Palace's goal. He then combined with Pellè to set up Steven Davis, but the Northern irishman, making his 100th Saints appearances, could not direct his shot on target.

That proved to be a costly miss as Chamakh grabbed his second of the day. The former Arsenal man rounded Forster before he slotted the ball into the net and gave Palace the lead.

The second half saw Koeman made an alteration with Matt Targett in for Florin Gardos. But it was Palace who nearly distanced themselves with a chance from Dann, whose header went over the bar.

Shane Long then checks in to the game and set up Prowsey, but the England U21 international was blocked. Long then was forced to depart the game with an apparent injury and was replaced by debutant, Ryan Seager.

There was a few chances in the dying minutes of the game with José Fonte getting on the end of JWP's corner, but could not direct his header on target. Eljero Elia then had an effort tipped over the bar spectacularly by Hennessey, before Tadić had a shot blocked, JWP sent a shot well over the bar, and Pellè's shot was blocked as well.

In the end, it was a valiant effort from the lads in stripes, but to no avail.