clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Southampton 1-0 Swansea City

Charlie Austin’s second-half goal helped secure a Southampton win over Swansea City.

Southampton v Swansea City - Premier League Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images

Charlie Austin lifted Southampton to their first Premier League win of the season over Swansea at St Mary’s.

Southampton, who secured their first win of the season in the Europa League, had been without a league victory, but Austin volleyed in the winner at the back post shortly after the hour mark.

After making seven changes to the side that beat Sparta Praha on Thursday, Saints boss Claude Puel made eight with Jose Fonte, Cedric Soares and Nathan Redmond amongst those returning to the starting eleven.

Swansea, meanwhile, are without a win in league play since defeating Burnley on opening day (3L, 1D).

Southampton controlled the possession early, but Swansea had a chance against the run of play when Kyle Naughton forced a save from Fraser Forster on his post in the sixth minute.

Though the Saints came close to an opener on 14 minutes following Shane Long’s shot across goal, but neither Dusan Tadic nor Steven Davis could turn the rebound into an empty net.

With Southampton pinning Swansea in their end, Tadic saw his free kick from 25-yards out tipped over the bar by Lukasz Fabianski.

Vigil van Dijk met Davis’ corner in the 34th minute, but the defender directed a powerless header down to Fabianski who had it covered well.

Long was shown a yellow card shortly before halftime, as referee Mike Jones had adjudicated simulation after the striker went to ground looking to draw a penalty on Federico Fernandez.

Redmond, who fired over goal on the previous run up the pitch, then curled an effort over the bar from eight-yards out inside the final minute of the half.

Southampton continued to press Swansea to start the second half and narrowly missed grabbing the lead, as Naughton had to clear Long’s pass across goal off the line.

Substitute Charlie Austin almost made an immediate impact after coming on in the 54th minute for Long, but couldn't get on the end of Ryan Bertrand’s teasing cross.

The former QPR striker was then left in disbelief at how he’d not scored when his effort careened off the crossbar and deflected off the back of the keeper’s head on 62 minutes.

But Austin, who struck twice against Sparta Praha, made it 1-0 after taking Redmond’s cross off his chest before hitting with his right foot past Fabianksi.

Southampton’s goalscorer was then denied at the near post when he took a shot first-time, as he looked to double the lead four minutes later.

Forster maintained the lead when he got a hand to Gylfi Sigurdsson’s low shot five minutes from full-time whilst the rebound was cleared away.

Southampton: Forster, Bertrand, Fonte, van Dijk, Cedric, Davis, Clasie (Hojbjerg 54), Romeu, Tadic (Martina 81), Redmond, Long (Austin 54).

Unused subs: McCarthy (GK), Yoshida, Reed, Isgrove.

Goal: Austin (63).

Booking: Long.

Swansea: Fabianski, Naughton, Fernandez, Amat, Kingsley (Rangel 46), Cork (Borja 82), Ki (Montero 66), Fer, Sigurdsson, Barrow, Llorente.

Unused subs: Nordfeldt (GK), van der Hoorn, Britton, Routledge.

Goals: None.

Booking: Naughton.

Referee: Mike Jones

Attendance 29,807