clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Saints outdone by City’s second half display

Manchester City flexed their muscles as Southampton was defeated 3-0 at St Mary’s.

Southampton v Manchester City - Premier League Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images

Vincent Kompany’s first Premier League goal since August 2015 helped condemn Southampton to a 3-0 defeat at St Mary’s.

The Manchester City captain struck 10 minutes after the restart whilst Leroy Sane added a second, and Sergio Aguero made it 11 goals in his last 11 appearances.

Southampton -- boosted by the return of Manolo Gabbiadini -- couldn’t put one past Claudio Bravo, who entered having conceded goals on the last seven shots on target.

City, meanwhile, continued to help their cause for a top-four finish, as the win moved them into third place above Liverpool on 64 points.

Aguero put the visitors on the front foot flashing an early shot across goal from a tight angle after failing to connect on searching delivery just 30 seconds beforehand.

A smart turn from Nathan Redmond opened up the City defence out wide for Gabbiadini, who returned following a three-game absence, but his cutback was fired over the bar from Dusan Tadic.

Claudio Bravo then escaped a nervy moment when his first touch brought the ball away him as he looked to clear his lines with Redmond pressing.

Southampton was prevented from going ahead after Fernandinho cleared Cedric’s attempt, which was destined to find its target, away from goal.

Despite a share of chances for the hosts, City dominated possession and David Silva narrowly fired into the side netting on 37 minutes before Fraser Forster stopped a charging Leroy Sane, who appeared to have won a penalty in real time.

Sane broke into the box and looked to round Forster, but the goalkeeper just got a hand onto the ball as he made contact with the forward as adjudicated by referee Neil Swarbrick.

City picked up where they left off at the end of the first half, and Jesus Navas forced a superb save from Forster who pushed a fiery effort over the bar.

But from the resulting corner, Kompany beat Maya Yoshida in the air and powered a header past Forster with 55 minutes gone.

Jack Stephens halted City from doubling their lead when he blocked Silva’s 65th-minute follow up attempt after Forster pushed Kevin De Bruyne’s cross back into the line of fire.

Southampton’s best chance to level the match fell to Yoshida nine minutes later, but the defender who found space along the six-yard box could only head into Bravo’s grasp.

Sane then notched his ninth goal of the season and made it 2-0 following a tremendous display on the counter attack. De Bruyne broke free before squaring the ball for his teammate to tap in as the duo entered the box.

Aguero would come good on his previous missed chances when he added to City’s lead 10 minutes from full-time.

Southampton: Forster, Bertrand, Yoshida, Stephens, Cedric, Davis (c), Hojbjerg, Ward-Prowse (Long 60 (Rodriguez 82)), Tadic, Redmond, Gabbiadini (Boufal 60).

Unused subs: Hassen (GK), Martina, Caceres, Clasie.

Goals: None.

Bookings: Hojbjerg (31), Cedric (41).

Manchester City: Bravo, Clichy, Kompany (c), Otamendi, Navas, Fernandinho, Toure, Sane (Sterling 86), Silva (Zabaleta 81), De Bruyne, Aguero (Iheanacho 88).

Unused subs: Caballero (GK), Kolarov, Fernando, A. Garcia.

Goals: Kompany (55), Sane (77), Aguero (80).

Bookings: None.