Date/time: 10/3/2018, 15:00 (UK), 10:00 ET, 07:00 PT (USA)
Venue: St. James’ Park, Newcastle, UK
Official: Andre Marriner
TV: None (UK), NBCSN (USA) and check out LiveSoccerTV for alternatives.
Streaming: None (UK), NBCSN - link here (USA)
Radio: BBC Radio Solent (UK)
Fresh off an important match against Stoke City last weekend - which, of course, ended in a drab 0-0 draw - Southampton another crunch tie with a different relegation-threatened rival in Newcastle United this afternoon.
Mauricio Pellegrino’s Saints will be missing key players Steven Davis, Maya Yoshida and Charlie Austin for the long trip from the South Coast to the North East of England.
Rafa Benitez’s Newcastle are also missing some important squad members Saturday afternoon. Goalkeeper Rob Elliot is still missing, while Jesus Gamez and Islam Slimani remain unavailable.
Jonjo Shelvey returned to training midweek after recovering from a knee injury and could feature today.
Stats Zone (via BBC Sport):
- Newcastle are on a run of seven games without a victory over Southampton in the Premier League. Their last win against the Saints was at St James’ Park in 2013, when they triumphed 4-2.
- The Saints have only failed to score in one of their last 19 Premier League games against Newcastle, netting in each of the last 12.
- Mauricio Pellegrino was a player under Rafael Benitez at both Valencia and Liverpool, with the pair winning La Liga twice and the Uefa Cup with the Spanish club.
- Newcastle are on a run of five matches unbeaten at home in all competitions (W2, D3), having lost their previous five at St James’ Park.
- They have scored just 12 Premier League home goals this season - no side has netted fewer.
- Rafael Benitez won his first Premier League game against Southampton in 2004 but is winless in five subsequent top-flight encounters with Saints (D2, L3).
- There have been only seven goals in the last six Premier League fixtures at St James’ Park, with no team scoring more than once in that period.
- Southampton have won just once in their last 16 league games (D9, L6).
- They have won just twice away from home in the league all season.
- However, they are unbeaten in their last four away games (W1, D3) - only Tottenham (five matches) boast a better current run in the Premier League.
- No side has conceded more headed goals in the Premier League this season than Southampton (11). Five of the last nine goals they have conceded have been headers.
- Saints have also conceded a league-high 11 goals from outside the area in the Premier League this season.
Bet 365: Newcastle: 9/5 - Draw: 11/5 - Southampton: 9/5
Bet Victor: Newcastle: 7/4 - Draw: 11/5 - Southampton: 15/8
Follow the action with live tweets here (please note, we're not responsible for its content).