Date/time: 28/4/2018, 15:00 (UK), 10:00 ET, 07:00 PT (USA)
Venue: St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton, UK
Official: Anthony Taylor
TV: None (UK), NBCSN (USA) and check out LiveSoccerTV for alternatives.
Streaming: None (UK), NBC Sports (LINK) (USA)
Radio: BBC Radio 5 Live (UK)
No fluff. This is simply a must-win for Mark Hughes and his Southampton side, who host South Coast neighbours AFC Bournemouth on Saturday afternoon. Anything but victory could spell unavoidable relegation from the Premier League for the Saints.
Sofiane Boufal will not be featuring for Southampton following a publicised falling out with Saints manager Hughes. Hughes will also be missing Northern Irish club captain Steven Davis, who is likely to be out for the rest of the season with an Achilles injury.
However, Saints could welcome back defender Jack Stephens after he served his three-match suspension.
Eddie Howe’s Bournemouth will be missing midfielder Harry Arter with an Achilles injury, but defender Adam Smith could return upon recovering from a knee injury.
Stats Zone (via BBC Sport):
- Southampton have never lost at home to Bournemouth in any competition (W8, D5). The sides drew 0-0 at St Mary’s a year ago, with Harry Arter missing a late penalty for Bournemouth.
- Bournemouth’s only victory in the nine most recent meetings was by 2-0 at home in the Premier League in March 2016.
- Saints have gone nine league matches without a victory at St Mary’s, drawing five and losing four. They have only once endured a 10-game winless home streak in the top flight, back in 1969.
- Southampton have scored only six goals in seven home matches in all competitions in 2018, with three of those scored by defenders and one an own goal.
- They are bottom of the form table with three points from their past eight home and away fixtures.
- Southampton failed to score in five of those eight Premier League games.
- Their solitary win in 21 league matches came at West Brom on 3 February (D10, L10).
- They are in danger of suffering three straight Premier League defeats for the first time since Christmas.
- Bournemouth’s only win in nine matches came at home to West Brom last month (D4, L4).
- The Cherries have conceded at least two goals in each of their last four league fixtures as part of a 10-match run without a clean sheet.
- Since earning successive away wins in the autumn, their only subsequent league victory on the road in 11 attempts came at Chelsea three months ago.
- Eddie Howe’s side have fallen behind in an unrivalled 25 Premier League games this season.
- However, Bournemouth have gained a league-high 18 points from losing positions, while 32% of their goals have been scored after the 75th minute.
Bet 365: Southampton: 7/10 - Draw: 16/5 - AFC Bournemouth: 4/1
Bet Victor: Southampton: 7/10 - Draw: 3/1 - AFC Bournemouth: 17/4
Follow the action with live tweets here (please note, we're not responsible for its content).