HOW TO WATCH, STREAM SOUTHAMPTON VS TOTTENHAM AND PREMIER LEAGUE GAMES:
Date/time: 20/9/2020, 12:00 (UK), 07:00 ET, 04:00 PT (USA)
Venue: St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton, UK
How to watch How to watch Southampton vs Tottenham on TV
UK: BT Sport.
Canada: Streaming only on DAZN. See below for more information.
How to legally stream Southampton vs Tottenham online
UK: BT Sport
Canada: DAZN (Watch EVERY Saints match in Canada with a high-quality, legal stream with DAZN. Click here to start your free DAZN trial to watch Premier League soccer)
St. Mary’s Musings has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.
Southampton vs. Tottenham team and injury news
Both Southampton and Tottenham have endured indifferent starts to their 2020-21 campaigns.
Saints began their season with a 1-0 loss to Crystal Palace on the opening day last week, before being unceremoniously dumped out of the Carabao Cup with a 2-0 home defeat to Brentford on Wednesday night.
Jose Mourinho’s Spurs also suffered a 1-0 defeat on their first game in the Premier League, losing out to Everton. They did, however, overcome some adversity to defeat Bulgarian side Lokomotiv Plovdiv 2-1 on Thursday night to ensure they’re on track for Europa League qualification.
In terms of team news, Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has a big selection headache to contend with.
Nathan Redmond picked up an ankle injury in that aforementioned defeat to Brentford.
However, Stuart Armstrong could return after his injury picked up on international duty for Scotland saw his miss both Palace and Brentford games.
Tottenham only have one injury concern of note.
Defender Japhet Tanganga is sidelined with a thigh injury.
New Spurs signing Gareth Bale is also injured after the Spurs staff picked up on a knee issue during his club medical after he completed his loan transfer from Real Madrid.
However, both Bale and fellow new signing from Madrid Sergio Reguilon are unable to feature as Tottenham did not register them by the Friday deadline.
Southampton vs. Tottenham pre-match stats
- Southampton have won their past two home league games against Tottenham, having failed to win any of the previous six.
- Spurs could lose back-to-back league fixtures against the Saints for the first time since March 2004.
- Tottenham have gone nine Premier League matches without a clean sheet against Southampton, their joint longest current run against any side, level with Liverpool.
- Southampton’s only victory in their previous 21 opening home games of a Premier League season was against Blackburn in 2004.
- Only Norwich won fewer Premier League home points than Southampton’s tally of 21 last season.
- Saints’ total of 10 home league defeats equalled the club record for a single campaign, set in 1993-94.
- They have won their last four Premier League games played on a Sunday, as many as they managed across their previous 23 fixtures on that day.
- Tottenham haven’t started a Premier League campaign with back-to-back defeats since 2011-12.
- Their only opening away league defeat across the past seven seasons was 1-0 at Manchester United in 2015-16.
- Spurs have only once failed to score in either of their opening two fixtures of a Premier League season, back in 1992 - which included a 0-0 draw at Southampton.
- Five of their last six Premier League goals were scored by Harry Kane and the other was an own goal by Leicester’s James Justin.
- Kane has scored nine goals in his past nine league appearances against Southampton - he has only scored more Premier League goals against Arsenal (10) and Leicester (15).
- Spurs have lost 88 Premier League games on a Sunday, more than any other side.
All stats come via BBC Sport.
Follow the action with live tweets here (please note, we’re not responsible for its content).